Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Art of Writing

What happens when Dark things descend upon Bozeman, Montana? The beginning of the end of Light - and a journey in the art of writing.

I decided to foray into this adventure by the urgings of a friend. I credit my friend and author, Jaime, for starting me down this path. Thanks, James!!

I'm amazed at how my story has progressed. It started as a simple outline, then as I wrote, the story took on a life of its own. My character Summer Holloway, who started out as two-dimensional, became a living, breathing - albeit imaginary - three-dimensional character with many emotions, faults, likes and dislikes.

The books are written in first person, from Summer's point-of-view. I decided to do it this way because I want the reader to have an intimate relationship with Summer. I want to take the reader on a visual and emotional journey. I have written Summer in a VERY difficult scene in the 3rd Book. Writing the scene took quite a bit out of me, as I had to try and imagine how I would react in a similar situation - hoping that I never have to experience in real life what I put my fictional character through.

I believe that's the art of writing: To be able to pull something out the depths of my own soul - something that I've never experienced before -  and be able to write it into the story. To have people read my story, and relate to the characters, and to draw out an emotion from the reader him/herself.

Art needs to invoke emotions, even if it is negative. Love it or loathe it - I can say I achieved my goal because the reader felt something.

Painters use colors to tell their story, and I use words. Be it an image on canvas, or the images in the minds of my readers, I know I have created a piece of art for all to enjoy.


An update on the books: The books are coming along. I'm trying so hard to focus on Book 1, but there is so much of the story to tell, that I find myself working on Book 2 one night, Book 4 the next, Book 3 for five days....hey, at least I don't have to worry about writer's block! I am pushing myself to get Book 1 written, because I'd like to publish it and share the first book of the series with everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment